Friday, September 28, 2012

15 Foods you can regrow from scraps!

To contact us Click HERE





The Healthy Hybrid - A life in transition
Various plants (in no particular order) that you can regrow from the food you already have! Woot! Way to reuse and recycle! I constantly have green onions and celery growing. (And potatoes/sweet potatoes but that just because they decided to do that in my pantry) Do you guys regrow any of your food?

Apples- http://www.ehow.com/how_2135774_grow-apple-seeds.html

Tomatoes- http://www.ehow.com/how_5581958_grow-tomatoes-fresh-tomato-seeds.html

Potatoes/Sweet Potatoes- http://www.gardenguides.com/117543-plant-cuttings-potatoes.html

Green Onions- http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/how-to-grow-green-onions-indefinitely.html
http://tipnut.com/nifty-food-plants/

Leeks- same technique as green onions

Carrot Tops- http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/children-in-the-garden/grow-carrot-tops.htm

Pineapple- http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Pineapple/pineapple.htm

Romaine Lettuce- Same technique as celery

Cabbage- Same technique as celery

Celery- http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/growing-celery-indoors-never-buy-celery.html

Avocado -http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/09/09/how-to-grow-an-avocado-tree-from-an-avocado-pit/

Lentils- http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/2009/02/19/how-to-grow-sprouts/

Pumpkin- http://pinterest.com/pin/98375573080950437/

Ginger- http://www.gardenswag.com/2011/12/5-foods-you-can-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/

Garlic- http://www.gardenswag.com/2011/12/5-foods-you-can-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/

Bonus: Bok Choy - http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/how-to-regrowing-bok-choy.html
 ·  · Share · July 16
  • 6,227 people like this.
  • 20,969 shares
  • 50 of 786
    • Mike Bobo fyi, if you put flour around your garden the grasshoppers will snack on that, thus gumming up the mouth and they perish, and your garden will flourish after they are all gone.July 23 at 6:22pm ·  · 12
    • Eliza Pearson I grew capsicums from the seeds out of a supermarket bought one...had great successJuly 23 at 7:02pm · 
    • Karen Kirk Really ALL this.......... I'm impressed n lazy. I'm going to start my own mini market :)) WOWJuly 23 at 7:34pm · 
    • Jo Hanegraaff I tried avocado 3 times ... but that's just me ... I am a plant killer. I can even let a cactus die :(July 23 at 7:36pm ·  · 2
    • Dale N DeAnna Green Thanks for the idea :)July 23 at 8:00pm · 
    • Jackie Taylor i tried the pineapple,,my mom told me about it,,, thing I got a rotted pinapple top...anything that is a tube I think you can do that with...July 23 at 9:20pm · 
    • Sacha Curtis Thank you for this post!July 23 at 9:36pm · 
    • Flamintitsgurl Ftg you can't grow apples from it's seeds to produce the same apple. each seed has it's own DNA. that's why Johnny appleseed threw 1000's of seeds. some trees would have sweet fruit while others were sterile and while some are far worse than cr...See MoreJuly 23 at 9:41pm ·  · 1
    • Michelle Haugdahl Grew an avocado years ago and let it get really big. Live in a climate that it had to come inside in winter and it got too big to deal with. Have since learned that pruning it back and making it more stubby like you would a bonsai is the way to go with themJuly 23 at 10:43pm ·  · 2
    • Mardhiyyah Muhammad I guess after reading all the comments that root veggies and herbs are alright to plant from scraps and more likely regenerate than the seeds you get from fruits/ fruiting trees?Tuesday at 12:17am ·  · 1
    • Stephanie Chalmers Pineapple does produce fruit but a top takes 2 years, you can take suckers off that plant and they will only take 1 yearTuesday at 2:56am ·  · 1
    • Natalie Howard ‎Pauline Howard xTuesday at 3:44am ·  · 1
    • Joseph R. Halley I will try the green onion haxTuesday at 3:54am · 
    • Lana Ladell will do! I'm witcha!!Tuesday at 10:25am · 
    • Andrea Suzanne Kelley Atwood Thanks for posting this.Tuesday at 11:26am · 
    • Karen Suddaby Goodness me thank you so much for this post. I will try as many as I can!Tuesday at 11:26am · 
    • Mariane Petersen Kristensen Would be nice if there were picture by picture explainations to follow. :) Anyways good inspiration found - and thats nice.Tuesday at 11:53am ·  · 2
    • Christa Jennings Tomatoes also will not come true from seed, unless they are heirloom varieties. Hybrids will revert to some ancestor, usually not a desirable fruit. Apples will not come true. Even the seeds from one apple will produce different trees. 90%...See MoreTuesday at 2:34pm ·  · 1
    • Carol Hayes I put an avacodo seed in a planter and watered it when I wated my other plants. I grew to about 7 feet.Tuesday at 3:35pm ·  · 1
    • GreenBliss EcoSpa Love this!Tuesday at 4:51pm · 
    • Joy Chauncey Avocado seeds are so hard how did they get the toothpicks into the ones in the large picture?Tuesday at 6:55pm · 
    • Donyeall Alimah Jones My mom has her own garden, and the pineapples she grows are soooo sweet! They taste wayyyy better than the ones I buy in the store! She has the asparagus, greens, onions, tomatoes, & peppers! All I have to do is take a trip to the back yard! No standing in long lines!!! lolTuesday at 7:09pm ·  · 5
    • Amanda L Ouellette CoolTuesday at 8:12pm · 
    • Lori Forsyth I grew an avocado tree from a pit and a friend of ours grew a pineapple plant from a pineappleTuesday at 8:42pm · 
    • Irene Aoko I love this can now start my small farm.Tuesday at 11:15pm ·  · 1
    • Paul Robertson how easy is thisWednesday at 3:56am · 
    • Dave Weisner My stalk grows from time to timeWednesday at 4:09am ·  · 1
    • Rachelle Strange This is greatWednesday at 4:34am · 
    • Dahlia Stevens I have two pineapple plants started from the tops. One is two years old and still no pineapple. Hopin this summer! Two avacado trees from pits also. I started a mango once but it died when I had to bring it in the house for the winter.Wednesday at 6:38am · 
    • Danielle Alden Yay!!Wednesday at 8:53am · 
    • Brigitte Rv You can also have watercress for about 2 months when you put the bunch from the supermarket in a jar of water.Wednesday at 9:35am · 
    • Roberta Anderson-Davis I have 3 pineapple plants, 1 avacado and 2 dates.Wednesday at 9:37am · 
    • Tracey Abraham great post sharin it!Wednesday at 9:38am · 
    • April Martin Mike Bobo....ty ty ty for the organic info on getting rid of the damn grasshoppers!! They ruining my wonderful patio gardenWednesday at 10:40am ·  · 1
    • Williams Fresh Cafe This is great! :)Wednesday at 11:45am · 
    • Marlene Clark Awesome! With just water or do you eventually transfer them to dirt? My son would love this. We have tried with the avocado but have not been successful. I don't know what I am doing wrong.Wednesday at 11:52am ·  · 1
    • Misty Cochran What about kiwi tree? Can you grow one here in the states?Wednesday at 1:25pm · 
    • Savitri Scathach Shivani Michelle, I have an avocado tree growing in the same type climate. I hear they do not ever produce fruit. Did yours give you avocados?Wednesday at 2:30pm · 
    • Shirley Bebout I'm going to try to grow peach trees from seed!Wednesday at 6:35pm ·  · 1
    • Sarah Jordison how coolYesterday at 12:06am · 
    • Helen Donnelly You dont need to put avo seeds in a glass jar of water, just put it in the ground..it takes a while but will grow into a big tree. Paw paw seeds are really easy to grow from seeds, I have three trees in my garden and have had 2 years of abundent fruit...:)Yesterday at 4:54am ·  · 1
    • Jason D. Wise XYesterday at 10:44am · 
    • Jessamy Margaret ‎Kelly Towns - check this.Yesterday at 1:05pm · 
    • Carol Owens i have several avacado plants, one is about 4 years old, non of the produceYesterday at 4:40pm · 
    • Jamie Harrison Awesome info, thanks Devon.Yesterday at 5:28pm · 
    • Mary Ann Sachkowsky Basil....stick a fresh cutting in water, it will root and grow in the water, or you can replant it once it roots.Yesterday at 7:43pm · 
    • Julia Sassella-Otley I totally have planted potatos and onions and tomatoes!19 hours ago · 
    • Griselda Cann Mussett Put a little spring of mint or basil leaves in fresh water for a week or so, to see them grow new roots which you can plant up in a pot to grow on a sunny windowsill.... Keeps a fresh supply all year!17 hours ago · 
    • Elaine Wilson ‎Renee - check this out. You'll LOVE it! And maybe you can suggest a few more to her.12 hours ago · 
    • Rusty Mashburn Ellis With avocado's you need 2 plants in order to get fruit.




No comments:

Post a Comment